GEORGIA PHOTOGRAPHIC COMPETITION 2018 RULES
The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter photographic prints, digital files, physical albums, and/or digital albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. Through this competition, GPPA members are also eligible to achieve GPPA exhibition merits. Non-members and Out-of-State Members may compete as well, but are not eligible for GPPA Member Awards.
These rules pertain to images entered as physical prints or digital files created by traditional photographic processes, as well as those captured electronically with a digital camera or scanner:
1. All entries must be registered at www.printcompetition.com. For first time entrants, click on the new artist registration tab and fill out the info required. Pick GPPA and Register. Please read the entry form carefully and answer all required questions. All Physical prints must have a label.
2. Entrants may submit either prints, digital files or a combination for judging.
3. Entrants are required to upload a digital file for each image (print or file) entered.
NOTE: For print entries, the digital file submitted MUST match both the image and presentation. If, for example, the submitted print has a mat and the digital file does not show the mat, the entry will be disqualified.
4. No changes to your entry are permitted once the entry deadline has passed. No refunds will be issued after the entry
Registration Opens: August 1, 2018. Register at www.printcompetition.com
Registration Ends: September 19, 2018.
Late Registration Ends: September 26, 2018 - Additional $40.00 Late Fee Applies (Physical Print entries registered late must be hand delivered to the convention location—see the “Deadlines & Fees” section for more information)
This contest is open to all photographers. You Do Not need to be a member of GPPA to participate.
1. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
2. All processing, manipulation, and printing or rendering, were done by the entrant or under their direct supervision.
3. The entrant has obtained and has access to all necessary releases (model or property) and agrees to hold GPPA harmless against all claims and liabilities arising out of GPPA's display, publication and promotion, or other use of each image submitted to GPPA.
4. The entrant’s name SHALL NOT appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
5. A maximum of eight (8) entries may be submitted per entrant.
6. No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
7. No two entries shall be of the same subject.
8. Entry media includes photographic prints, digital files, physical albums, and digital albums.
9. Once an image has been awarded an exhibition merit (80+) in any category of GPPA’s Georgia Photographic Competition, it may not be entered again in any other category, at any time, by any entrant. No image that receives a merit may be entered more than once under any condition, including any image from a merited album.
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry.
Portrait - Man
Portrait - Woman
Portrait - Teen
Portrait - Child
Portrait - Groups
Portrait - Pets & Animals
Wedding - Bride
Wedding - Groom
Wedding - Groups
Illustrative - Commercial
Illustrative - Fine Art
Illustrative - Landscape/Scenic
Illustrative - Abstract
Illustrative - Digital Painting
Illustrative - Sports
Illustrative - Photojournalism
1. Images may be submitted in any shape and size on a mount board with a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches (length x width), with the largest dimension no longer than 24”.
2. Print entries must be mounted on a standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, foam, or Sintra). Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8" to 3/8". “Float” mounting is accepted at entrant’s risk for damage. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames, or conventional frames will not be accepted.
3. No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.
4. A digital reference file must be submitted at the time of registration for each print entry. This file must match the submitted print entry, both image and presentation (if a real mat is used on the print, a reasonable facsimile must be used in the digital file). File specifications are the same as under the Digital Submission categories.
5. Print your labels to be affixed to the backside of your images at www.printcompetition.com. Please make sure that the label is positioned in the proper orientation of the image.
6. If a print is submitted and correctly entered, the print will be judged.
PHYSICAL ALBUM ENTRIES
1. Album cover size must be between 63- 400 square inches (length x width).
2. No multiple volume albums are allowed.
3. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
4. An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/spread files.
5. Any studio identification or entrant’s name in the album must be covered.
6. Each entrant must use the same title when entering a multi-maker album.
1. Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4000 pixels. For example, in Photoshop, go to Image/Image Size and change the inches to pixels and type in 4000 on the longest dimension. Make sure your resolution is 300.
2. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and must be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. In most cases, total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB. Larger files may be accepted when necessary so long are they are saved with the setting of JPEG/10.
3. Files are to be named, Image_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g. See_Spot_Run.jpg). DO NOT include the maker name in the title of the file.
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY
1. All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. (See Digital Entries for clarification.)
2. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
3. An entry shall contain a minimum of 5 page/spread files up to 36 page/spread files.
4. Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits, i.e. 01 jpg, 02 jpg, 03 jpg, etc.
5. All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named: Album_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g. Summer_Wedding.zip)
6. Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
DEADLINES & FEES
1. For print entries to be returned, they must be shipped in an approved print case. Entries may be shipped in any serviceable box, but they will not be returned. They may be picked up at the convention center after competition completion. For more information, please see the “GPPA Approved Print Cases” information below.
2. Ship cases to: Michelle Walker Photography, 701 Kelly Rd. Statesboro, GA 30461
3. GPPA assumes no responsibility for damage to entries or print cases.
4. Images shipped in an approved print case will be returned within 30 days of the conclusion of the convention. A $15 return shipping fee will be required.
If you want your prints shipped back to you after the competition, you must submit them in an approved print case. All images received in unapproved print cases will not be returned. Approved shipping cases are defined as those intended for reusable shipping of photographs or artwork. These would generally include straps, zippers, or twist type clasps and a space to attach shipping labels. Cases should not be shipped to us inside another box. Containers such as portfolio cases used for storage or for hand carrying artwork, cardboard, or homemade cases and boxes are not considered approved shipping cases. In addition, unserviceable cases are defined as any case that requires special handling (i.e., cases with missing or partially missing handles, or those requiring packing tape, string, rope, etc.). Once again, images that are shipped in unapproved or unserviceable cases will not be returned. They may be picked up at the convention center after competition completion. A $15 return shipping fee will be required for cases not picked up after competition completion.
Please review thoroughly! Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the GPPA Georgia Photographic Competition Committee is final.
All images will be judged and given a numerical score. Images can receive scores up to 100 points, dependent on how they meet the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. Images that receive a score of an 80 or above will be awarded a GPPA merit. All 80 and above scored images from each category will be reviewed and a First Place designation and two Distinguished Award designations will be given.
See what scores mean:
100 – 95: Exceptional
94 – 90: Superior
89 – 85: Excellent
84 – 80: Deserving of a Merit
79 – 75: Above Average
74 – 70: Average
69 – 65: Below Exhibition Standards
ADDITIONAL AVAILABLE AWARDS
80+ Physically Printed Images (not Digital Entries) will be reviewed to be selected for the Fuji Masterpiece Award and the Lexjet Sunset Award, for their respective categories. To be eligible for these awards, you will need labels for each, as they apply, affixed to the back of any print. Labels are available for download at www.printcompetition.com.